Announcing paid cloud CouchDB hosting
By Jeff on Apr 10, 2012
April 12 is Iris Couch’s one year birthday. Today, we offer paid cloud CouchDB hosting plans.
How it Works
Our pricing plan has the details. It is relaxing and RESTful. Your log file is your receipt.
This month is completely free for everybody. May is the first month under the new policy.
- People who don’t accrue $5/month of usage don't owe anything for that month
- The vast majority of users don’t accrue $5/month in usage charges.
- Thus, by the transitive property of service pricing, most of you won’t pay anything
- Your account shows your historical usage since you signed up
Below, co-founders Jeff and Jason reflect on our milestone.
I’m really proud of how dialed-in this service has become with Jason’s expertise. I’m excited about this launch and new features we have in development. Mostly, though, I’m really looking forward to not feeling so sad every month signing huge checks to pay our hosting bills.
We spent a lot of time mulling over how to price this so that beginners and tinkerers can still have a free sandbox, and I think what we’ve come up will protect that. Thus Iris Couch will remain both a platform and a tool to spread the word about how relaxing CouchDB is.
I am pleased with our first year. We have built technology I am proud of. Many people (Jeff in particular) have asked:
Why the delay for paid stuff? Aren't you hungry? Are you lazy?
We are both hungry and diligent. But despite being an Apache CouchDB developer, I am a sysadmin first. Before I take your money to steward your data, I have an ethical duty to produce a proven, reliable service.
- We proved our mettle, in production, for two years (CouchOne plus Iris Couch)
- We have had zero data loss incidents.
- We have zero single points of failure.
- We have a confirmed, tested backup process
- We have a confirmed, tested off-site disaster recovery process
Is it perfect? No, it is better than “perfect.” It is very good. We built something befitting a proper database company.